Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

1.5 hrs
Everything with the VS attachment is a excersize in frustration. Simple things take way too long.
Drilled the front VS spar to the 981 bracket.
I had already drilled the tie down bar to the 912 bulkhead, dimpled, and countersunk. I had looked ahead, but failed to find the section I'm dealing with now. It's clear now why I should have waited before drilling the tie down bar. In the end, I got it to work out OK. Fortunately, all of the holes were drilled in just the right spots. So after bolting the VS in place, I marked the holes from the forward side of the 912 onto the VS. Took the VS off, and drilled the 4 holes to #40. The other 4 holes for the tie down bar take flush rivets. I put long flush rivets in, bolted the VS on, placed the tie down bar on the flush rivets, then used a cleco from the front to clamp the tie down bar in place through the 912 and the VS. Averything aligned perfectly, and I have #40 pilot holes ready to enlarge to 3/16 from the outside. At least this part should be easy.



Then I had to call India so it was time to stop.