Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

4.5 hrs, 37 rivets
Install connectors for landing light wiring on wing and 1600s.
Test lights and wiring for both landing lights. These things are painfully bright to look at. They appear to put out enough light. I guess I'll find out the first time I really use them at night. The wig-wag feature works as advertised.



Finished dimpling bottom wing skins and then riveted the access cover nutplates to the right inboard skin.

Torqued the tank attach bolts on the right wing. I hope it's on for good, because it won't be fun taking those bolts out through the access holes.

It's always Christmas when you're building a plane. This package of firewall/forward bits was from Van's. Shortly after this, Wayne was telling me about a Van's main and starter contactor sticking closed such that the prop kept spinning till the battery wore down. I guess that's why Aeroelectric Bob specs the bypass diodes, to prevent contactor degradation.



And finally, after much hesitation, started riveting the inboard bottom skin to the right wing. The center spar/skin rivets are extremely difficult, but I got reasonably good results shooting rivets solo.