Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Saturday, December 12, 2009

3 hrs
Started installing the main gear weldments. On the nose-dragger, these are two seperate heavy pieces instead of the integral engine mount front gear attach found on the tail-dragger design. They bolt to the front of the main spar carry through, and there are holes drilled through the side for various bolts and screws.
It takes a lot of time to work with these because when you get the bottom main wing bolts installed they're very difficult to remove, even with the hardware store temp bolts. That's because you can't get a straight shot at either of them to drive them back out. It's a real pain.
I hope I don't have to remove the close tolerance bolts, ever.

Oh, yah. Since there are couple of wiring tasks that will soon be in the critical path, I've been spending a bunch of time on electrical system design. I'm most of the way through reading the Aeroelectric Connection, and I've been using ExpressCAD to work on the schematics. Still a ways from being finished, but I'm finally happy enough with the progress to start cutting wires.