Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Monday, December 21, 2009

4 hrs
Finish fabbing parking brake bracket. Made all the bends. That .040 is hard to bend by hand.
Drilled the bracket to the firewall. Dimpled the bracket and the one extra new hole in the firewall. Then fit the parking brake valve to the bracket and clecoed the assembly to the firewall. I plan to use AN3-11A bolts with K1000-3 platenuts to hold the valve to the bracket.

Once that was done, I could start installing lower brake lines. These are a bit hard to get right. I think they'll be OK, but I'll have to install the various covers to make sure it's all fitting right.

Also drove up to Georgetown to visit Seth. We spent some time answering my various questions and then cranked up the engine. We discovered an oil leak somewhere on the bottom of #2 cylinder head. At first Seth was worried it might be a cracked head, but it looks like it was just a problem with the seating of the lower spark plug. He promised to look at it a couple of more times and resolve the problem. If it's cracked, then it will take more to get it fixed. I don't expect to need the engine before March. Other than that, the engine cranked up in about half a turn, and ran great. We ran it up and shut it down about 4 times looking at the leak. Started perfectly every time.