Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Firewall done

2.5 hrs, 80 rivets
Finish riveting firewall. Looks great. I think the rivet callouts were too short by one. I used longer rivets.



The firewall is not completely done, but it can't be finished until the recess box is installed, and that's after most of the fuselage is done. I also didn't drill any of the other through holes. Some of them depend on the engine, and that task doesn't really have to be done until before installing the rudder pedals, or even later.

Then went on to assemble the aileron push tubes. This was made hugely more difficult since I painted over the marks I made to identify alignment. Knew which two caps went with which pushtube, but then in another fit of stupidity, I cleaned the alignment mark off of one of those!



But I eventually got it mostly right. Only had to drill out a couple of holes that were off too much to get a pop rivet in.



I'm dyin' to start on the F-904 carry through structure, but I limited that to flipping drawing 16 to the top of the stack.