Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Friday, June 26, 2009

2.0 hrs
Finished bending the longerons. Got out drawing 17 to have the full sized pattern. My cardboard pattern was spot on. But the full size has longer sections of unbent material for extra accuracy.
This picture shows the left aileron being checked. I folded over the drawing, and carefully traced the curve from the front, making the pattern for the other longeron. It's hard to see, but the results are well within the 1/16" called for in the narrative. Close enough that I think I could only make worse with continued effort!




After final tweaks on the shallow curve, setup to do the sharp bend. This was relatively easy to do, after figuring out that the bend is actually happening about 1/2" further back from the bitter end of the vise. Used the 970 skin to compare the bend. I think I got it pretty damn close.



Last up is the twist. It looks like the optimal distance the crescent wrench will have to go is about the intended twist angle, plus 90 degrees. I kept worrying that something would slip and all that potential energy would be expended on my knuckles somehow, but it all worked out.



After that it was dinner, and then mosquito hour, so I called it quits early, on a high note and all that.

Notes: I've been reading ahead in the plans and just finished all the fuselage Section 8. I noticed a few items. First, I might have screwed up by drilling and dimpling the 712 bulkhead and tie down bar. The instructions do say it's fitted later, but the plans are quite specific about dimensions. Near the end of the fuselage instruction it describes first fitting the vertical stabilizer, then clamping the tie down bar and match drilling holes, using the VS spar as a pattern. I get it now. I hope the holes line up, because I've already dimpled and countersunk. Hopefully the holes will simply drill out some of the existing holes. If not, I might end up having to redo the 712 bulkhead and tie down bar.

Second item is a picture of the outboard most seatbelt anchor in the plans. They have theirs trimmed about like mine (violating the 3x bolt diameter edge clearance) and they have what appears to not be a flush rivet head on the forward side of the closest rivet. The drawing clearly says, "Flush head under F-634 seat belt anchor". They screwed up, too! ( or they changed the plans since that picture was taken) But I have the new anchors, and already installed flush rivets. I'll replace the two outboard anchors, which will involve shimming, match drilling, and deburring. 30 minutes.