Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Saturday, June 6, 2009

5.0 hrs, 116 rivets
F904 bulkhead
Final drill bulkheads and C/D parts.



Countersink G shear spacers.


Rivet 904A, C and B/DG


Started on control column mounts, but drilled them wrong. Ordered new parts.
With the fuselage kit, you have to be on top of your game. The instructions don't hold your hands any more. You have to look at the drawings and read EVERY note. A good tactic might be to sweep in the horizontal and vertical directions and check off the notes as you go. Check them twice. The first time reading for comprehension, the second time as you complete the work.
I've already been burned once by drill diameter callouts. I had already conditioned myself to checking the drill diameters twice. But this one time I rushed through a task and didn't check that third time before cutting metal, and now I'm waiting for $60 of control column mounts to get here via UPS. What's more, I can't check off the 904 bulkhead yet. Arrgghh.
TRIPLE CHECK on the expensive parts.

Countersink for and install all bulkhead nutplates.

Fab spacers and cut web stiffeners. Oh, and I probably get to order more 3/8" inch spacer material because I was not paying attention. The parts for this bulkhead are done, but I had to use the other piece of material, which will be needed somewhere else.

Prepare cover ribs by edge deburring.