Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Monday, July 11, 2011

Transition Training

Drove up to Dallas yesterday, Midlothian actually, and did transition training with Alex De Dominicis. I started out a bit rough, but after a lot of landings Alex seemed pleased with my progress. Now I have the training required for insurance purposes. The training was in Alex's RV-7A, which has a O360 and a constant speed prop. There were some things we just couldn't simulate properly, but the landings were good practice. If I do the first flight more than a month from now, I probably need to get a few more landings in.



Alex






We did all the pattern work at Midway in Midlothian (KJWY). While refueling we talked with Dave Wheeler and Aubrey Price of Airborne Imaging, Inc.. They operated a pair of DC-3's as platforms for testing stuff they couldn't talk about. But they could fly imaging equipment, racks of computers and data acquistion, and up to nine engineers/operators for test flights. Cool stuff.



Dave Wheeler





DC-3 Grin!


This might be my only DC-3 time, although I'd love to fly one of these things.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me Dave!