Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, January 31, 2010

For Saturday, Jan 30
4.0 hrs
Drilled elevator horn pivot and bellcrank attach holes. The pivot hole drilling was in the empennage commentary, but I was nervous about doing almost two years ago. After getting the elevators dusted off and installed on the the HS, I decided I couldn't improve on the fit, and the up/down angles were well within specs. So out came the drill.

Here's a picture of my panel concept. SkyView EFIS, 430W GPS/COMM/NAV, GMA 240 Audio Panel, SL40/30, GTX 327 (330 shown, but 327 already purchased), TruTrak Autopilot. Switches go in there somewhere, no circuit breakers (per Aeroelectric Bob).



I've been planning on 2 EFIS screens, and now I'm nearly committed to the Dynon SkyView. That ought to be plenty good for the vast majority of the kind of IFR I'm likely to fly. But it's been bugging me that a last resort backup is needed. A vacuum horizon or even a Dynon D6 would fit in the extra space.

So today a TruTrak ADI came up for sale on the VAF classifieds. I thought about it for a few minutes, got out the panel cutouts to look at it, looked at the TruTrak web page, and decided to go for it.

While it does have its limitations, it's the perfect last resort attitude device (with a seperate backup battery of course). And it creates one hell of a powerful panel. With the panel setup as shown, I can fly nearly any approach, and get good partial panel practice, while keeping reasonbly current for the occasional flight with steam gauge panels.

Unfortunately, someone else got first dibs on the TT ADI. But I'm #2.