Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, January 24, 2010

4.5 hrs
Spent the morning with my sisters. Mimi was running her 8th 3M Half Marathon (I've only run 3). So Suanne and I were at the finish to cheer her on, and then we all went to Z-Tejas for brunch. We don't do that often enough.

Then back to work on the kit.
Trimmed flap pushrods to length as per the drawings. Finished trimming fuselage for flap pushrod fit.





Started match drilling tank attach brackets. Would have finished, but the landing gear mount is in the way. If you have an A model, you need to buy a 3/16 or #12 medium length threaded drill bit. I thought I had one, but apparently not. Time to place an Avery order. And it turns out I used this quite a lot on fitting the empennage.

Mark and drill center skin for #8 screws.
Measure vent and fuel pickup lines for proper length. For my 9, the fuel pickup looks to need 2 3/8", and the vent needs about 2 3/4". Happily, both sides had the same numbers!