Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, November 1, 2009

6 hrs, 112 rivets
Not sure why it took that long. There was a bunch of shop cleanup time included in that.
Rivet 921B canopy decks to longerons. These took an hour apiece, which included the "file carefully to match the skin" part.



Rivet 695 gussets to forward fuselage. These are hard. Used the hand squeezer for all of them.



Start riveting 728 bellcrank rib to 706 bulkhead. There are four through-hull rivets that I can't reach alone. Back riveting might work, but there would be no way to get the back rivet set into the proper alignment. Would have finished more of the rivets to the 706 bulkhead, but my back was killing me. Leaning over to reach the center bottom of the fuselage is a pain. I might need to get Wayne's rotiserrie into play.



Prosealed static ports to fuselage.



The pile of parts on the shelf is getting very small. Need to get the finish kit ordered. It'll be a bit tricky, since I want to go with some Grove wheel parts. I need to start getting the details hashed out so the order is ready to send.