Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

3.1 hrs
Arranged a visit by Seth Hancock and Deene Ogden, Chapter 187 Tech Counselors Extraordinaire! Deene had reviewed the empennage for me, a year and a half ago. During that time I built a set of quickbuild wings and a quickbuild fuselage. I had a bunch of questions they answered, and they provided guidance for many of the tasks I'll encounter soon.
They gave me a passing grade and told me not to worry about most of the small errors I pointed out.



Deene and Seth.

At this point, I'm about a year from finishing if I keep up the same rate.

Couldn't help it, got a little bit of work done after they left.
Fabbed 637B&C seat back angles. This meant cutting up the last two long pieces of angle stock shipped with the wing kit. It's a bit nerve racking, since cutting long stock means you no longer have long stock. And if you aren't paying enough attention, you just cut up a piece that you needed later. And that means expensive shipping to replace it. But I reviewed the plans one more time and checked my list of fab items requiring these two angles, and concluded that long angles are no longer needed. These are the last long parts I have to make. A few shorter parts still to do, but plenty of stock left for those.


Here's a growing pile of parts that will become the seats.