Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, July 12, 2009

4.9 hrs, 187 rivets
Katrin appeared this morning after being gone all week. They were camping in New Braunfels and taking time to visit San Antonio. I'll get the fuel bill soon, and I'll try to remind myself that it's cheaper than sending her to Italy.

But now I have riveting help! I dropped a few subtle and not so subtle hints at the airpark workday, and didn't get any bites on riveting help. The girl is very mechanically competent and has the strength and coordination to be an excellent helper. And she's my smartest Facebook friend!

We started in on the aft fuselage parts that I just can't do myself. I made her take breaks, and during that time I continued on the rivets I can do solo, and match drilling on the center section.

Got the 779 skin riveted in. And we continued riveting the aft fuselage, working forward.



Fluted the 715 ribs to a rough fit. They're still held in place with clamps at the forward end, and clecoes at the aft bulkhead end.

Started final drilling of 776 bottom skin to ribs and bulkheads. Got about half way done, rotated all of the clecos and just need to finish the drilling. Called quits there because I've had some sort of respiratory infection and I decided that was enough.



Gonna be at 10 thousand rivets soon! And a thousand hours in the next couple of months.