Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Friday, July 3, 2009

3.8 hrs

Deburred all parts.


Drilled holes for static ports, rudder cable anchors, and tie down ring.



Fortunately, my new habit of reading the instructions saved me from a big mistake. I was preparing to drill a much larger hole for the static port, thinking that the flange goes on the outside of the skin. But the SafeAir instructions say to drill a 1/4 inch hole at the location recommended by the kit manufacturer. Once I figured out that the flange goes on the inside, it all made sense. Whew!




There's only one problem with this picture. This is the recommended location, but the flange on the static port is too close to the bulkhead flange. I'll have to trim the static port to fit. But it would have to be moved forward some amount to clear without requiring any cutting, and I don't know what that would do to the performance of the static system. Trimming the static port isn't a big deal. I plan to simply use proseal to hold the static ports in place.