Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Thursday, July 16, 2009

2.0 hrs, 102 rivets
10K rivets are coming up fast!
Filled in a bunch of rivets on the aft fuselage, catching up to the point where I need more help. The girl had a story about a rough night, so I didn't push too hard to get her to participate.



The RV community is amazing. Browsing around on other builders sites, I saw that I was forgetting the crotch strap kit. It's not in the narrative for the 9 kit, so it was up to me to remember, and that wasn't working. So I've been looking at some of the 7 builder's pages since the aft fuselage is almost identical. And one of the guys documents installing the crotch strap kit.



So why the 5 point harness in a 9? Well, it just seems like a good idea. I flew to Florida with such a setup, and it didn't seem to have any downsides. Extra safety, not too much more burden, why not?

At any rate, part of today was the rough filing part of edge deburring for the 4 pieces of the crotch strap kit. About another 2 hours at most, and that detour is complete.