Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Installed rudder and fabbed rudder attach links. I did this by clamping the rudder to the VS in a neutral spot, clamping the pedals together, and then setting them at what seems to be a good spot. Then I climbed in and tried them out. They seem just about right, not too close, not too far. I was wondering how much tension there should be, and looked it up on VAF. The advide was no tension, just fit them so they're comfortable. That didn't seem to answer my question. So I marked and drilled the links, took em apart for cleanup. Then I took the clamp off the rudder so it was free again. The light bulb came on. Duh. There's no tension because if you're feet aren't on the pedals, then the pedals are free to relax, and they put no tension on the cable. It doesn't matter where the rudder is.
So in the end, my method works fine, just pull the cables reasonably taught, mark them, and drill. About the only thing you really have to worry about is that the cable isn't hung up on something when you do this, because if it is, then the pedals won't be even when the rudder is centered.

Prime and paint rudder attach links.

Deburr F994 HS fairing strips and start fitting.

Start fitting empenage fairing.



Tape brake lines to gear legs. These won't be seen in the final product, but I couldn't help it. I had a bunch of different colors of electrical tape from when the girl was in color guard. She used it to tape up her flags and throwing rifles. So I got a bit fancy.