Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

1.4 hrs, 11 rivets
Safety wired the right brake. Had done the left, but forgot the right. Now it's done.
Removed VS and riveted forward attach bracket. I kinda miss riveting. I know just what needs to be done, unlike most of the finishing process.
Trim rubber strip and left 994 HS fairing. There must be some secret to getting this right. A secret I haven't figured out yet.

Started unofficial transition training. Got checked out in UFC's Diamond DA-20. It has some key characteristics in common with the 9A, a low wing, bubble canopy, 430W, 330 transponder, 340 audio panel, sticks, and a castering nose wheel. I know that Scott Card used one of these as part of his transition training. The landings are a bit different than the Cessna's I have most of my time in. Hold it steady until you're just about down and then start flaring. I've developed a bad habit of flaring too soon in the 1[75]2's, which they tolerate. But it's not a good thing in the low wing airplanes. At any rate, I'm signed off to fly it now.