Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Monday, September 7, 2009

Put on the brakes!

6.7 hrs
Went out this morning to do a couple of items, looked up, and it was 1 o'clock. Missed going to a bbq at friends house. Dang. Letting the kit control too much of my life.

Pulled all brake pedal hardware. Lot of little nuts and bolts, and by now you have to be creative about where to find them. The mysterious bag 619 is listed only as "spare assembly hardware". When low on 960-10L thin washers, you can find them in 619.

Preassemble master cylinders, mark and drill the 6117A brake side plates. I have a feeling I get to do this again. I drilled the side plates to get the brake pedals to the same relative position with the rudder pedal frames. But I realized later that this is not going to work.



Fit the the rudder pedal frames to the 6116 bearing blocks.
Fit to the aux longerons.

Remove aux longerons, match drill for bearing blocks. Reinstall the aux longerons and then bolt the pedal frames and bearing blocks on. It fits! The right pedal is a bit tight, but that'll get worked out in the wash.

Trim 6118 rudder pedal brace. Fit 6118 to firewall and match drill.

Cut 6115 bearing block in half, match drill to 6118 brace. Then bolt it on. About this time I realized that when the bottom of the rudder pedals are lined up as they would be for a neutral position, then the right and left pedals have different angles with respect to your feet. Since I lined the brake pedals up with the rudder frame, then my current setting for the brake pedals will be different between left and right foot. That's why I think I will need to redo two of the 6117A brake pedal side plates.

Tomorrow I'll have to assemble it and see how far off it is.