Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, September 13, 2009

5 hrs
Finished fuselage preassembly steps. Looked over the drawings one more time to see if there was anything still needing drilling. I'm sure there something still needed attention, but I got most of it.

Final drill baggage compartment ribs and side covers.



It's a good thing I had help. I put the chair cushion on the floor and the cat assumed it was for her.

Drill 902 and 722 bulkheads to longerons.
Match drill 917 lower longerons.
Start drilling holes for wing fuel/electrical connections.



I chose to cut an extra hole in the rib/skin both in front of the main spar, and behind. The extra hole in front is for the fuel gauge sender electrical connections. I couldn't figure out how else the wires were getting past the skin, so I added another hole. The aft hole, behind the main spar is about where the electrical conduit comes out on the wing. There's only about an inch clearance in the final assembled position, and I wanted a straighter shot. I'll run pitot/AoA lines through the forward hole, which is the one spelled out in the plans. There's even a pilot hole for it.

Countersink the holes for the fuel tank attach bracket screws. Got to use the #12 countersink bit. Arrr!


Finish drilling bottom skin to 904 bulkheads.
Begin disassembling.
Deburr and dimple baggage compartment floors and sides.
Start deburring floor stiffeners.