Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

4 hrs
Been bad about posting, but have been working on the project. Dad and Patty have been in town for Christmas, and Dad has been over to help out for short periods during the holidays.
It's been all about the instrument panel. Among the accomplishments was getting the main harnesses for both Skyviews wired in, at least well enough to power up the two displays. John installed nutplates on the radio stack braces, so the stack can be screwed to the panel now. I guess I've missed writing up about 8 hrs of work over the past few days.


One Skyview is alive!

Today, got the SL-40 install mostly done, including making the coax connector, and got the radio stack with the Stein harness into the panel. Decided to trim the subpanel a bit more to clear the audio panel connectors. As a result I have a new favorite tool. I bought a hand nibbler from Avery. Built the airframe without it, but it sure is handy. While the noodles were cooking for dinner, I was able to mask in newspaper, nibble out the cutouts, file, sand, scotchbrite, and clean up, just as the noodles were done. Any other cutting tool would have required that much time just to set up and to cleanup the mess.



The Dynon transponder requires a TNC connector. Those things are ridiculously expensive. And I don't have one.

Over the past few days I've had to do a LOT of research on various items. I've had the attitude that this wiring and panel task would be a piece of cake. My professional experience gives me a big leg up on this kind of work. But I have to admit there are a lot of items that aren't immediately obvious, even after all the prep work has been done. I feel for the guys who aren't comfortable with this stuff.