Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Saturday, October 16, 2010

5.5 hrs
Continue fitting baffles. Trim for cowling fit.
Trim leading edge of ramps for better clearance.
Fab lower cowling clamp strips and airseal strips. Drill to #27 for #6 screws.



Got out the filtered airbox and started on it. Filed the carb mount plate to clear the accelerator pump fittings. I don't think I'll install the 2nd emergency bypass. The 1st bypass should be sufficient. I may change my mind. Flying any time icing is a possibility is not in the cards for me. Induction icing is the least of the worries. Airframe icing is a serious threat on these airplanes, with the possibility of losing elevator and rudder control with just a small buildup. I intend to be IFR capable, but if icing is even a remote possibility, I'll go with another plan.