Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

.6 hrs
Went flying today in one of the 172s. Picked up DT at Taylor (T74), made a short flight over his neighborhood, and returned to Taylor. Pulled up to the fuel island, and there was a pastel blue RV-8A there. After a bit, we walked over and introduced ourselves. The pilot was none other than Seth Hancock. I mentioned that I was building a 9A, and he asked me what the engine plan was. I said "probably a 320 of some kind", and he says, "I've got one on the stand you need to take a look at". I'm going to arrange a visit, but it's still too early.

One thing he asked is how I was preparing tank surfaces for sealing. He recommended ~150 grit sandpaper, and that my scotchbrite method is probably not best.

So tonight I removed all of the ribs, readjusting masking tape, and started resanding. I'm going to resand the skin for the outer ribs, and the tank baffle. I will also sand all of the ribs. To late to redo the stiffeners, and the other tank. I can't imagine the other tank will ever leak, I've seen what proseal can do, and how it was applied on the left tank.

Spent an hour last night working on the wing cradle.