Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Monday, January 28, 2008

HS Assembly

Another nice day, and got a lot done. 2.9 hours, and 100 rivets!
MEK'd and primed all of the VS pieces.

VS ribs primed and drying.

Riveted the rear spar and hinge brackets.

Rear spar and doubler riveting complete ...


... including the elevator hinge brackets.


And finally set rivets in the skin, getting all of the nose ribs in the right side. Katrin did the bucking, and the shop heads turned out great. Not entirely happy with the two center leading edge rivets, but they might get worse if I drill them out.

Riveted center nose rib without mangling the skin.

Used the squeezer on the inboard and outboard ribs.

All three right HS nose ribs riveted in!


Next I'll do the left side nose ribs and then rivet all four intermediate main ribs to the front spar before proceeding.


I expect to finish HS and VS work by next weekend. Then I guess I'm about a third of the way through, and that will have been 7 weeks much of which was startup and learning time. After the rudder, I'll be a bit more than halfway done with the empennage. I think I'll order the wings then.