Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Time Flies!

A year and a half since I posted. Too long. Way too many things, I'll try to remember some of them.

At the previous post, had just put Cav back into service after months of downtime due to engine issues. I put about 35 hours on the engine over the next 8 months. This included at least one trip to Port A (pre-hurricane), lots of local area TnG flights, and a trip to Nebraska for the eclipse. I'll post about that separately.

When I left for the eclipse I had just found out that the connecting rod bushings used in the overhaul were subject to an airworthiness directive from Lycoming. The trip to Nebraska would bring me home just under the hours specified in the AD for mandatory inspection. So off to Nebraska I went.

The log book shows I was down for 3 months (mostly waiting for the previously mentioned mechanic). Once I gave up waiting and did it myself (with oversight from other A&Ps on the field), I was back flying in 3 weeks. Had to take all four cylinders off, remove the connecting rods, and ship them to Colorado for inspection. All 4 were fine. All that for nothing as it turns out. First flight after reassembly was logged on 11/12/17. Since then another 40 hours. Got in some tailwheel time in the 170, and now have over 900 hours of flying.

All in all, despite the engine woes, life is treating me well.