Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Monday, November 9, 2015

Got in another episode of formation training yesterday. I flew over to 40XS to meet the Card's. We did a briefing. We were going to Burnet to where the Card's were meeting two other planes for 4 ship practice. We would do 2 ship work, then join up with Luke in the blue RV-8A for a first 3 ship and a abort demo and practice. This time Tanya was right seat as my coach. Once again I immediately messed up on the radio.


We took off and joined up.  It takes me a while to rejoin.    Scot ran us though a set of turns and added in some climbs and descents.  I was never quite in position.  Then he put me out to route and back, then some cross unders.   Then some extended trail practice.  Then rejoin practice. 


Out toward Burnet Luke joined up and we practiced the abort pull-up.  Finally Luke broke off to land at Burnet and then we did an overhead for a landing on runway 1.  1.0 hrs of formation PIC.


The debrief was thorough and we had an audience, the guys for the 4 ship.  Luke, Flagman, and Eyeball.  Then I sat through their briefing and then watched them depart.