Got in an hour flying today. Mainly I just wanted to fly, but I also got a couple of test items done. First, I verified that aileron rigging changes made during the condition inspection did not change the heavy left wing. More on that in a moment. I also put in some more time testing the autopilot. The pitch axis is simply not working, a ground test showed that the pitch servo is not properly controlling the elevator. I do need to rule out problems with the shear pin, but I may need a new servo. Given that the problems happened intermittently, then more frequently, then not working at all, I don't think it's a shear pin problem. A shear pin failure is binary, it works or it doesn't, no gradual failure modes.
Saturday I flew for a short time, then started in on modifying the right wing tip. I did a little bit of gel coat sanding, but I wasn't dressed properly to make a mess with sanding dust. So after flying today, being appropriately dressed as an airplane bum, I removed the wingtip and got after the sanding in earnest. I had masked off the trailing edge and today removed all the gel coat at the very trailing edge. This will make a good foundation for fiberglass layups. Gel coat is not a good foundation, which is why it had to be removed.
I also started the process of removing the old 916 rib. I drilled through all the rivets, now I have to pop them out and remove the rib.
After that it's time to split the trailing edge, and see how effectively I can get it to line up.