Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, August 2, 2009

4.5 hrs
Got the Biennial Flight Review done today. My instructor put the hood on me right away and we flew up to Taylor (T74), where I botched the pattern for right 17 and had to go around. The subsequent landing was awful, so I took off and tried again. 2nd time was passable. We refueled and then back to Austin. He kept pulling the power out and asking what I would do in this scenario. I guess pushing the power back in isn't the answer he was looking for. He put me under the hood for the ILS back into Austin, so I got to log an approach! Unfortunately, my last rating was aquired in July, so I didn't get to count that time as PIC. But now I'm good to go again.

Stripped plastic from the 970 side skins and the 972 forward bottom skin. Got most of the edge deburring done for the 970 skins. Getting the chores done while I wait for the ELT to arrive. And the Sherwin Williams store where I buy primer is only open during the week. I hope to run up there tomorrow and get stocked up on primer. I'll prime the center section ribs this week, and hopefully get it riveted together by the end of next weekend.





A simple experiment of holding the side skins up to the aft fuselage shows how big the fuselage is going to be. The garage is about to get much smaller.