Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Wing kit has shipped!

Got a call Wednesday at work. It was the shipping company checking to make sure someone would be at home on Monday, 9/22, to sign for (and pay the COD freight charges) the wing kit.

Woo Hoo! Looks like I'll be working from home Monday, until the delivery arrives.

Over the past two months I added about 20 hours working on the fiberglass parts for the empennage. They're all mostly ready for riveting except for the rudder tip. That will wait for final assembly. Reasonably happy with how the work turned out when using the materials and methods described by Jim Andrews. After a couple of years of fiberglass work, I might start to get good at it. And it's not as bad as I thought it would be, except for the sanding.

Various packages arrived from Avery and Aircraft Spruce with misc. small tools and bits in prep for the wings. Chose to get Alumiprep and Alodine from AS to prime the spar countersink cuts. Also found a good set of bandsaw blades at Sears so the saw is ready to go.

The wing crates should include an extra E-714 elevator counterweight to replace the one I overcut.
It will also contain an extra piece of longeron angle for Fred Magare.

Spent about 8 hours putting together a wing jig. Roughly copied Smitty's design, but I chose
to use turnbuckles for fine adjustment of the spar support boards. I may cut longer spar supports so that I can work on both wings at once.

Now just tidying up the garage and chomping at the bit.

The empennage took 232 hours for me.