Van's RV-9A in Aurora

The Big Picture

The Big Picture
Flying! 8/28/2011

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Empennage Complete

Well, not really. I'll start on the fiberglass work. And there's a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that has to be done. But based on what I saw yesterday when visiting Scott Card, the elevators are now in the right place. Gave all four of the eyebolts a full turn in, and now the jam nuts can be torqued down. I'll wait on the torquing until torque seal arrives.

Measuring the travel on the elevators shows 34 up, 24 down on the right, 33 up, 27 down on the left. More than what the narrative specifies, but I didn't want to go any farther forward to keep the horn from interfering with the HS tip fiberglass. The very small gap between horn and tip has implications for icing safety. (My strategy for dealing with icing: don't fly if it's even a remote possiblity.)





Here's the status picture that will be posted to the VAF forums.

It's an empennage!